Design for social innovation
How can we make products and services more engaging, intuitive, and likely to be adopted by the general public? Introduce a user-centered approach to your social innovation initiatives.
I use a variety of methodologies to work on ambiguous, messy problems. Each challenge requires a unique approach; I draw frequently from design thinking which helps to:
- Find new opportunities spaces beyond current product offerings
- Dig deep to find out what motivates the audience and discover what their real needs and drivers are
- Align stakeholders who are all coming with diverse ideas about product direction (engineering, customer service, product management, executive leadership)
I create research programs to discover user attitudes, motivations, trends, and mental models. Listening to people and observing behavior in their native environment shows how they are influenced by culture and what new cultural trends may be emerging. This process helps bring to light opportunities that may not have been considered before and provides a framework to drive the design innovation process. Design Research includes ethnographic studies, in-depth interviews, quant analysis, and desk research.
User Journey Mapping
I lead design teams to help bring new product concepts to life. The first step is to consider the full user journey and each touchpoint users will encounter. Design can range from hand drawn sketches, to high-fidelity wireframes, visual comps, clickable prototypes, and development ready design.
Working in the digital space since the late 90s, I have worked on a wide range of design deliverables, from shippable software, to websites, mobile apps, call center, and service design experiences.
“The fundamental idea of design is to make the world a better place.”
– Bruce Mau
Who I work with
Areas of Expertise
- Ethnographic research
- Usability testing
- Quantitative analysis
- Comparative and competitive auditing
- Creating new product concepts and prototypes
- Information architecture
- Interaction design
- Design diplomacy
- Design Thinking workshop facilitation
- Requirements gathering
- User Journey mapping
- Creating product roadmaps